Monday, August 28, 2006

My Trip to New York


Everyone is asking about pictures from my New York trip. Here I am at Coney Island.

After this photo op., I headed for where you SHOULD ride the Cyclone -- the back seat.

The cyclone is definitely the roughest (i.e. bumpy, jostling) ride I've ever been on. Rode the back seat, or next to back seat, 4 times. My neck was stiff for a week, but I'll be back on it as soon as I can get back up there.





Then it was off to the boardwalk for a famous Nathans hot dog. Maybe it was the adventure of getting there, but it seemed like the best hot dog ever.

The Coney Island section of Brooklyn seems to be a clean, safe area that is attracting new residents. It reminded me of the north side of Chicago -- the subway is even elevated in this area (like the Chicago "L").

The boardwalk attractions extend over a mere 2 or 3 blocks, only a small remnant of the glory days of the old Coney Island. However, what was there was very clean. The crowd was family-oriented.

The day was extremely hot on my way down to Coney Island, in the 90s. But on the boardwalk a breeze was blowing in off the water, and the temperature was cooled toward 80. I don't know if this is always the case, but on this particular day the contrast between crowded, hot Manhattan and the Coney Island boardwalk was amazing.

The Search for Ebbets Field

My day was not over. Next came the search for Ebbets Field -- former home of the Brooklyn Dodgers (Ebbets Field was torn down in the early 60s). From internet research I knew the subway stop to use, and the exact block that the stadium stood on.



Standing at the stadium in the old days, this is what you would have seen:








THIS is what I saw.

Unlike Coney Island, the area is ..... not good.




However, nearby is Prospect Park (sort of the Central Park of Brooklyn). I completed my tour of Brooklyn with a walk around the park.

2 comments:

Darkgarden said...

THAT's BETTER! I liked the baseball park info. Was neat.

annulla said...

We prefer to say that Central Park is sort of the Prospect Park of Manhattan.